Saturday, April 23, 2005

Tribeca Film Festival Movie #3 Layer Cake

2nd movie I watch was actually collection of Short films. Seven different short films from around world. Some were good others were just ok. All the directors and some actors were there to talk about the films after. However, as soon as movie was over I had to rush to my next and final movie of the day. I wish I could stay for Q&A session and some photo but I only had about 5min to get to next movie.

My Last movie today was UK film called “Layer Cake”. It was directed by Matthew Vaughn. He produced many of Guy Ritchie’s movies and I guess he decided it’s time for him to direct the movie this time. This movie is British gangster movie like Guy Ritchie’s “Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” and/or “Snatch” However, this movie does have different tone and style that Guy Ritchie’s film. I read from somewhere that industry people were so impress with the movie and him, they offer him to direct “X-Men 3” and he accept it. Damn, he is one lucky guy. He is even married to Claudia Schiffer. (I saw her with Matthew Vaughn in the theater; I guess she was there to support him)

Daniel Craig, who is supposed to be next James Bond, was great as main character. I can see how he can pull off great James Bond.

Here is some info about the movie;

Based upon JJ Connelly's London crime novel, "LAYER CAKE" is about a successful cocaine dealer (DANIEL CRAIG) who has earned a respected place among England's Mafia elite and plans an early retirement from the business. However, big boss Jimmy Price hands down a tough assignment: find Charlotte Ryder, the missing rich princess daughter of Jimmy's old pal Edward, a powerful construction business player and gossip papers socialite. Complicating matters are two million pounds' worth of Grade A ecstasy, a brutal neo-Nazi sect and a whole series of double crossings. The title "LAYER CAKE" refers to the layers or levels the dealer has to go through as he painstakingly plots his own escape. What is revealed is a modern underworld where the rules have changed. There are no 'codes', or 'families' and respect lasts as long as a line. Not knowing who he can trust, he has to use all his 'savvy', 'telling' and skills which make him one of the best, to escape his own. The ultimate last job, a love interest called Tammy and an international drugs ring, threaten to draw him back into the 'cake mix'. But, time is running out and the penalty will endure a lifetime..

By the time movie was over, it was past midnight..
Time I got home from city was around 2:00am. I am tired but looking foward to more next week:)


Soon to be James Bond..


Daniel Craig and his date.


Daniel Craig and Director Matthew Vaughn, who is married to Claudia Schiffer, introduce the film.
I know it's only back of their head, but two person sitting front of me were Edward Burns and model Christy Turlington.

No comments: